Thursday night was the first time that a What’s Cooking event took place in Antwerp, and it was legen-DARY! If you’re thinking “what the hell is What’s Cooking?” then you’re probably one of the misfortunate people who weren’t able to come, or worse, don’t even know about them at all! So for those people, let me break it down to you real simple. 2 Friends of mine organize small, cozy concerts (meaning for about 20-30 people) with relativy unknown artists (but definitly worth discovering) and at the end of the evening, everybody gets a dessert! Up until now these events took place in Ghent, but Thursday Antwerp received it’s first blessing! Up until now these events took place in Ghent, but last Thursday Antwerp received its first blessing! I was asked if I could take care of the desert, and naturally I couldn’t resist. For this first occasion I decided to make some brownies and it seemed they were a big hit, with people asking me for the recipe. So for all you anxious What’s Cooking fans, this post is dedicated to you guys!
- 200 g dark chocolate, in pieces
- 250 g butter, diced
- 350 g sugar
- 80 g cocoa powder
- 65 g flower
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 75 g wallnuts or cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- baking tray af about 20x30cm, lined with baking paper
- Preheat your oven at 180° C (360° F)
- Melt the chocolat and butter using a water bath (au bain marie)
- Put the sugar in a big mixing bowl, and add the flower, cocoa powder and baking powder using a sieve
- When the chocolate and butter have melted (make sure it’s a homogenous mixture, use a whisk if necessary), add it to the big mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the eggs to the mixture, this will turn the mixture from something quite liquid to a pretty sturdy dough.
- Finally add the nuts, give it a final mix and pour the mixture in your baking tray.
- Smack it in the oven for 25 minutes. Do NOT be tempted to let it in any longer, it will cause your brownie to dry out!
- Let it cool down completely (can take a couple of hours), cut into squares and enjoy!
Check out the slideshow for step by step instructions!
Vodpod videos no longer available.