To be honest, this started out as a joke. If you’re living in Belgium or the Netherlands you will most likely have heard the song “Broodje Bakpao” by The Opposites ft. Gers & Sif. If not, here’s their official video clip:
Even though the music isn’t really my style, I have to applaud their absurdity. Having said that, I read an interview with the lead rapper of the band in which he said he didn’t really like a bakpao sandwich at all. It just went along with the rest of text. The crazy cook in me naturally couldn’t resist and was bound to make this a delicious treat! A bakpao sandwich is basically a closed sandwich with a filling inside, and I am glad to inform you that I believe I succeeded at my attempt! I did add some scallions and coriander (aka cilantro) to the original recipe, and I strongly suggest you do too. As for the bread itself, just do it the lazy way like I did and buy some pre made bread mix to which you only need to add water. (it’ll be our little secret). Needless to say you can come up with your own variation of this, the ones I made were asian-styled, but you can get creative with somme peppers and beans and start making Mediterranean or Mexican varieties, the possibilities are pretty much limited only by your creativity! 😉
- bread mix
- 500 g minced meat
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2-3 scallions, finely sliced
- some fresh coriander (aka cilantro), roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sambal sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- Start with the bread by following the instructions on the bread mix package
- While the bread is resting, start with your filling. First step: fry your minced meat in a pan (adding some freshly ground pepper of course)
- Drain the fat from the meat and start frying the the onions until they have a nice brownish colour. Let this drain as well.
- Mix the meat, onions, scallions, coriander. Also add the soy sauce, sambal and garlic powder. The amounts listed in the ingredients are guidelines, but feel free to change these to your own taste!
- When the bread though has risen enough, divide it into little portions an roll flat. Fill with the filling and pinch the dough together. (see the slideshow below for more detailed instructions).
- Once you’ve got your sandwich ready, steam it for 6-10minutes, depending on the size. Let it cool and enjoy!
check out the slideshow for more detailed instructions:
Vodpod videos no longer available.