I am on a new mission! A mission, that will undoubtably shake the foundations of pretty much everything you have ever believed. What’s all this fuss about, you ask? It’s about fennel, yes fennel. You know, that one vegetable that you’ve always hated because of its aniseedy flavour? Or perhaps you’ve just never tried it before. Well, I’m here to tell you to man up, suit up and give this hunka love a try, ’cause it’s absolutely de-licious! Trust me, I’m not a big fan of aniseedy flavour either, but this one’s definitely a winner! You’ll just have to try it if you don’t believe me (and try it anyway if you do believe me).
Ingredients (serves about 6)
- 2 fennels, sliced
- 1 leek, only the white part, sliced
- 1 onion
- a splash of olive oil
- 1 potato
- 1-2 liter water
- 100 ml cream
- vegetable stock cube
- some smoked salmon, finely sliced
- Start by slicing the fennel, leek and onion. Put in a pot with a splash of olive oil and braise them on a medium heat.
- Once the vegetables are translucent, you’ll want to add the potato and some water until it just covers the vegetables and bring this to boil. Let it boil like that for about 5 minutes (this intensifies the flavours)
- You can add some seasoning (salt and stock cube) and add some more water. Bring this back to a boil and let simmer for about 30minutes.
- When done simmering, blend the mixture. Have a final taste and add more salt if needed.
- Finally, add the cream to the soup, this will give it a beautiful white color (yes, white’s a color, or at least in my world it is)
- Serve up with some finely sliced smoked salmon and garnish with some of the fennel greens.
Check out the slideshow for step by step instructions!
Vodpod videos no longer available.