Hello there! With Christmas just around the corner I just HAD to post this recipe! Christmas is my favourite time of year and I’m sure you’ll agree that no Christmas is complete without a mug of mulled wine! Of course Christmas isn’t about drinking, it’s about the presents – just kidding! Christmas shouldn’t be about that at all, it should about spending some good quality time with family and friends. And what better way to do that than to chug down some mugs of delicious mulled wine and share some laughs? And who else to get the perfect recipe from than your friendly neighborhood food blogger?
I wish I could say I’m sharing an ancient family recipe, past down from generation to generation. But truth be told, I found it on a German site last year, tried it out and have been using it ever since! For you, my loyal minions, I translated it to plain English, so you can go forth and make this world a better one, with a mug of mulled wine 😉
- 0,5 l black thee
- 125 g sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- juice of 2 oranges
- 4-6 cloves
- 1 medium sized cinnamon stick (or 1tsp ground cinnamon)
- 1 bottle of dry red wine (e.g. Bordeaux)
- 125ml brown rum
- Make the thee, poor it in a big pot and add sugar.
- Add orange and lemon juice and spices. Bring the mixture to a boil so the flavours can mix together properly.
- Add the wine and keep the mixture warm. Make sure you don’t let it boil anymore or you’ll lose all that precious alcohol!
- Heat the rum in a smaller pot, this can come to boil as you don’t want too much alcohol either, the rum is purely there to improve the flavour.
- Finely turn of all heats, add the rum to the wine mixture, take some mugs and enjoy!